Monday, November 23, 2009

National Adoption Day

Saturday was National Adoption Day. It was a day where I, as an adoptive parent, thanked God for the gift he had given us. I'll never forget the day we received Isaiah's referral. We were heading home from church when we received a call from our adoption agency. It was Sept. 4, 2005. They went on to tell us that they had a little boy referral who was a month old and if we would consider adopting him. We said yes, pictures unseen, and then went home to check out all of his information. This is the first picture we ever saw! It was at that moment that my journey as a mother began.

Jason and I visited Guatemala many times, but nothing compares to the first time we saw him or the first time we had to give him back to his foster mother.

Jason and I back in our hotel room right after we met Isaiah.




Having to give Isaiah back to his foster mom after our first visit. You can't really see how red my eyes were. I don't know if I've ever cried so much.


Our adoption journey was full of ups and downs. Isaiah's birth mother was a minor and that made the adoption process a little longer. She had to go through numerous interviews to make sure this was the decision she wanted to make for her child. I think of her often and thank God for her decision. It must have been an incredibly hard decision and her strength is admirable. During the process, Jason and I, or myself and other family members traveled to Guatemala to meet and love on Isaiah. Here are a few of my favorite pictures:
I really wanted to just stick him in my suitcase and take him home.


Go Texas!
Aunt Christy meeting Isaiah.

Uncle Bud and Isaiah swimming. The weather in Guatemala is incredible. You can swim all year round, even in December!


Isaiah with his Papaw. They have an incredible bond.


Isaiah arrived home in Texas when he was 8 1/2 months old. We were greeted off the airplane by family who has loved Isaiah as much as we have from the moment they met him. He is a special little boy who has changed our lives forever. We are so thankful that we were chosen to be his forever family!




We love you big man! Thanks for making us a mommy and daddy!


Until later,
Melissa







































































































1 comment:

Carrie said...

I teared up when I read this. He is one lucky boy to have you guys as parents!